Saturday, November 04, 2006

Pre-election madness

I kind of doubt too many people are continuing to check out this blog, but I just wanted to check in briefly and say that while I had intended on having some lengthy posts before the election in which I named all the predicted winners by name, I just do not think I will have time to do so. I am very busy with campaign activities and a bunch of other things, and if I want to have this election season end, knowing that I did everything I possibly could, it is more important for me to devote my time to that.

I also may not be able to get to my football picks by tomorrow morning, but next week, I will post how I did on the honor system. After all, I am primarily just posting them here for my own organization anyways.

So, just to summarize before this election, I see Democrats making gains, but how much will remain to be seen.

Governors- I will say Democrats pick up 5 to take them to 27. Those are primarily most important to people in each individual state as there is nothing tangible to be gained by having a majority of Governorships. We have an election for Governor here in Illinois of course, and while my candidate is behind, things are definitely getting closer, and I am not going to give up until it is over.

U.S. Senate- Since I offered my final classifications, I now think that Ohio and Rhode Island will be more likely than not to be won by Democrats, which would mean a 4 seat pickup, and a 51-49 GOP majority.

By the same token, I have already predicted against GOP candidates in Maryland and Montana, but I feel they definitely have momentum and I will hope for the best.

U.S. House- As I went through race by race, ending last Sunday, I came away with an 11 seat Democrat pickup. I will stick to my guns on that, although I probably think it would be more likely to be about 13 seats now and considering all the tossups that are out there, it may very easily be a 20 seat Democrat pickup and control of the majority being shifted. Much more than a 20 seat pickup will surprise me. I still think Republicans have at least a fighting shot at winning enough seats to get to 218. I had considered the DeLay seat in Texas and the Foley seat in FL to be certain goners, but that might very well not be the case.

So, just to summarize, if Republicans lose the majority, I will be disappointed, but I realize that this is a sixth year midterm election where historical losses in the House are about 30 seats. We can look back to 1986, when President Reagan's party lost 8 seats and control of the Senate, lost a bunch of House seats, and only the day after that election did Iran Contra break.

Yet somehow, the GOP rebounded to keep the Presidency in 1988 by a landslide margin.

Regardless of the outcome on Tuesday, I am grateful to live in such a wonderful country with our system of democracy and I am confident that there will be bright days ahead for the GOP, especially in 2008.

This election is important, and I am going to give it my all until the whistle blows, but I think back to how I felt two years ago, with the positions of Commander in Chief, judicial nominator, and moral leader of the country all on the line, and I will always be grateful that election turned out for the best. It was far more consequential, just like how 2008 will be, but for now, we are focused on 2006, and here is to a great Republican triumph.....


I will comment on it all after the election.

8 Comments:

At 4:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Corey,
I was wondering if you were going to do any post election analysis?

 
At 9:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Corey,
I just want to thank you for all the work you have done on this website. To those who don't like the candidates I would suggest not wasting a vote on an independent candidate in Illinois... Judy Baar Topinka is the only one with a shot at defeating the corruption of the Blagovich Administration... and she WILL live in the Governor's mansion in Springfield. Corey you sound a little down... I sure hope you continue to fight for a Republican victory. The close races are republican dominant areas and if the republican base turns out big then it will be a good night on Tuesday. I have already voted here in Illinois and just happened to have voted for all Republican candidates... it was almost a no brainer. For anyone who is a republican... get out and vote... our country depends on it.

kurt.

 
At 9:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great job Kurt!

Thanks everyone for reading and the kind words.

I just have been really busy these past several days doing GOTV activities and giving it all I have.

I am down about the Bears today.

But if the GOP has a good election night, that whole debacle today will have been forgotten.

If not, then this is just the beginning of my Week from Hell.

But hey, I am looking at a serious surge in the Congressional generic ballot question in three, yes, three seperate polls.

They show the GOP has made major inroads in that, which is really what matters in terms of momentum, and if it is true that the lead for the Democrats in the generic ballot question is only 4-7 points, they have a *lot* to worry about!

There is an inherent advantage for Democrats in that poll to start with, just based on how the districts are constructed.

I would estimate that a 7 point popular vote victory for Democrats in all 435 House races would probably not get them the majority.

So, I am going to hold out hope that the GOP losses will be limited between 11 and 14.

I am of course nervous, as all of us rabid partisans on both sides of the aisle ought to be, but 2004 was far more consequential.

 
At 11:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Corey,

Some believe that if the Democrats take control, they will go on a sickening power trip that may turn the independents back to the right. Given the Democrats rhetoric of late, that theory sounds plausible. A caller to the Shawn Hannity radio show asked, "Is it worth losing Congress for 2 years in order to keep the White House in 2008?"

That could very well be what happens. So maybe not all is lost if the Democrats take control on Tuesday. They just may be dumb enough to shoot themselves in the foot.

 
At 12:02 AM, Blogger sku said...

Corey, I think I read every one of your analyses on this site (save the football stats), and I have to say, overall, well done. I, of course, don't agree with all of your predictions, and agree even less with many of your characterizations, but I have to say your overall ratings were certainly fair and you have done an impressive amount of work on this project. To boot, it is well written and engaging. Nice work.

Don't think, however, that this means I'm not going to gloat when we take back the House by 20 or more seats on Tuesday.

 
At 7:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks sku! I appreciate that.

When you say "win the House by 20 or more seats", I am assuming you are predicting a 35 plus pickup, not a 20 seat gain.

Don't worry, if I come closer to the final outcome than you do, I will be gloating as well.

 
At 11:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done, Corey. Thanks for making your very perceptive insights known to all of us.

 
At 11:41 AM, Blogger sku said...

FYI, I meant a gain of at least 20 seats.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home