Monday, May 21, 2012

April 16


American Idol Top 7 Week

This past Wednesday, the Top 7 sang songs from the past three years After all, what better way for them to show their current relevance?

1. Skylar Laine- “Didn't Know How Much I Loved You”

I did not know this song by Kellie Pickler, but I imagine that Skylar probably sang it at least as well as the original. While this is not my favorite kind of music, I think it is becoming very clear that Skylar has the talent and charisma to sell a lot of country records in the near future. She may be the season's quickest success story. Playing guitar for the first time on stage, Skylar started the show off pretty well vocally. Grade: B+

2. Colton Dixon- “Love the Way You Lie”

I am a bit confused. I thought this was a Rihanna song, but it was attributed to another artist. I guess there are multiple versions of it, and while Colton's piano driven interpretation was pretty good, I still am not sold entirely on his voice. He seems to be getting tons of votes though and is a very real possibility to make the Finale. I say he will be Top 4 for sure. Grade: B

3. Elise Testone & Phillip Phillips- “Somebody That I Used to Know”

The first duet of the night was pretty interesting. I only recently heard this song for the first time and I am undecided as to if I hate it or really like it, which probably means that is pretty good. Stylistically, I thought it worked for both contestants, although Elise is always going to have the edge on P2 when it comes to duets or group numbers.Elise's grade: B+, Phillip's grade: B

4. Jessica Sanchez- “Stuttering”

Another song I did not know, but another vocally on point performance from Jessica who showed her technical proficiency and at least somewhat of emotional credibility during the performance. I thought it got better as it went on, but I was wondering if it was not perhaps a bit too boring and unknown for the Idol stage. As it turns out, those factors likely prevented her from getting more votes. Grade: B+

5. Joshua Ledet- “Runaway Baby”

When I heard that Joshua was going to take on Bruno Mars, I started contemplating which of the more well-known songs it might be, but instead the 20 year old from Louisiana went way uptempo with this sort of throwback R&B number. It was a very smart decision for Joshua to shake it up like that and sing a solo that was not a ballad. He worked the stage well and sounded good in an an old school Jackie Wilson sort of way. He continues to impress but I continue to wonder just what kind of impact he is having on the under 50 power voters. He would have been a far greater threat to win Idol during it's first few seasons. Grade: B+

6. Skylar Laine & Colton Dixon- “Don't You Wanna Stay”

For the second week in a row, these two kids sang a country duet, but insist they are not dating. Not sure why anyone outside of fan-fiction land would believe they were anyway. Once again, this was a song very well suited for Skylar although Colton again managed to hang on and not look totally of place. I found it somewhat interesting that Skylar sang a Kellie Pickler song followed by vocals from Kelly Clarkson, two past Idol contestants. I guess Colton needs to find a way to do both Chris Daughtry and David Cook on the same night.Skylar's grade: B+, Colton's grade: B

7. Hollie Cavanagh- “Perfect”

As if there would be any doubt, she sang the radio friendly version of the song and made it a bit more acoustic and slowed down, which I found a bit surprising. As I say every week, there is no denying that Hollie has a good voice and comes across as likeable. I just am convinced that she is weaker vocally than all but maybe one person left. She continues to need seasoning and I agree with some of the judge's criticisms of her again this week (though they might have generated a huge sympathy vote for her) but my parents (who like everyone this season) think she can do no wrong and feel that the trio are being way too hard on her. Grade: B

Round 1:

7. Hollie Cavanago (solo)
6. Phillip Phillips (duet) 
5. Colton Dixon (solo) 
4. Skylar Laine (solo) 
3. Elise Testone (duet) 
2. Joshua Ledet (solo) 
1. Jessica Sanchez (solo)












8. Phillip Phillips-“Give a Little More”

Most weeks, I want to come away with a reason to dislike Phil and his shtick, but usually he leaves me at least somewhat impressed. This was another one of those times, although I cannot really remember a ton about it, besides that he played guitar and moved his feet funny and his forehead vein seemed ready to pop out. Yes, he sounds the same every week, but so have many other successful contestants from season's past, including last year's winner, Scotty McCreery.

As much as I would hope that Jessica or Joshua (or even Elise) find a way to break into the Final 2, it now looks more likely than not, that Colton and Phillip will be squaring off at the Nokia Theater, which is going to create a lot of anger from any uber-fan of the show who is not already voting for them. Grade: B+

9. Joshua Ledet, Jessica Sanchez, & Hollie Cavanagh- “Stronger (What Doesn't Kill You)”

Time for another Kelly Clarkson song, as Idol dealt with its uneven numbers by having one trio to go along with two solos. The judges really seemed to like this, but I thought it was a complete mess.

It felt like a bad number on Glee, that “Mr. Schu” would have needed to find a way to refine. Joshua was probably the best one, but even he looked a bit off kilter, as did Hollie. Jessica who I found great on her duet last week, has been a bit subpar on another duet she had done a couple weeks back and I felt looked unready for this number tonight. Maybe people don't “rank” these songs, but I do, and would find myself a bit surprised to have Jessica at the bottom. Joshua's grade: B, Jessica's grade: B-, Hollie's grade: B-

10. Elise Testone- “You and I”

For the second time in three weeks, it would be a pimp slot performance from Elise, who probably needs every advantage she has. It is of course ironic that when Haley Reinhart sang this song last season, before Lady Gaga had released it as a single, Randy Jackson had a lot of criticism for that. Now that the song is more known, he seemed to be more generally onboard, though I wondered how much the Haley vs. Elise comparisons would be prevelant on the Idol blogosphere.

One thing Elise did differently than Haley is play the beginning on piano, like Gaga herself, and it was a pretty good performance vocally, but I also thought Elise made some odd phrasing choices. Could it be that in retrospect, I would actually prefer Haley's version?Grade: B
Round 2:

7. Jessica Sanchez (trio) 
6. Hollie Cavanagh (trio) 
5. Joshua Ledet (trio) 
4. Colton Dixon (duet) 
3. Elise Testone (solo) 
2. Skylar Laine (duet) 
1. Phillip Phillips (solo)
Combined:

7. Hollie Cavanagh
6. Colton Dixon
5. Jessica Sanchez
4. Phillip Phillips
3. Joshua Ledet
2. Elise Testone
1. Skylar Laine
Who should have been eliminated: Hollie Cavanagh
Who I predicted would be eliminated: Hollie Cavanagh
Who was eliminated: Nobody (judges saved Jessica Sanchez in perfectly scripted television moment)

Yes, so I thought for sure this would be it for Hollie, at least putting aside the chance of a save, but whether it's the sympathy factor, the votes of Texas, or her new habit of wearing the Haley Scarnato/Haley Reinhart Memorial Pants on Results Shows, Hollie found a way to hang in there.

Assuming the producers were not just trolling us, Jessica Sanchez was the “shock” last place vote getter, although I think the Pia Toscano results last week showed us how anything was possible for a female that could be considered “boring.” Whether it was the song choice, complacency, being nothing like a “white guy with a guitar” or hailing from low Idol voting turnout Southern California, a whole bunch of factors must have combined to put Jessica in this bad spot.

Sure, she was saved, as appeared would be the case right away, and her fans will be fired up now to save her for another week or two, but sadly, I do not think she can win this anymore. The precedent is much against it. So, Jessica ought to continue to sing as well as she can, enjoy the ride, and know that she will be signed by Jimmy Iovine's label once this is over, regardless of where she places.

I guess I need to mention the formality of the “save song.” Jessica sang some sort of boring ballad that she had not already done and I had never heard before, but perhaps aptly titled, “How Did You Get Here.” Perhaps it was the emotions of the moment, but she sounded very off pitch. Grade: C

None of that was really going to matter though, as J Lo led the three judges to storm the stage and wrest the microphone away from young Jessica before she could do any more damage.

I did not see the results show until the next day, and after I had basically been spoiled as to what happened, but based on the stories I heard, it all felt a bit less dramatic than I thought it would. Jessica did not even shed a single tear during any of this, which I sort of respect, but I have a hunch will rub some viewers the wrong way. How dare she not cry!

1 Comments:

At 3:31 AM, Anonymous Tattoo Dating said...

Phillip Phillips-“Give a Little More” is my favourite one ^_^ I thought Hollie Cavanagh would be eliminated too! Surprising

 

Post a Comment

<< Home