Thursday, February 08, 2024

Super Bowl LVIII

 Non-Prediction Record this season pre-Super Bowl

138-146 (49%)

I hope this math is correct, because I am looking at my post from 4 years ago, when it was the same Super Bowl matchup and there were far fewer games that season. I hope I was wrong then and not now.

This is such a weird post because yes, it is the exact same Super Bowl match-up as 2020. I really enjoyed watching that game but it is not a year looked back upon fondly. Adding to it, this is leading up to what looks like the exact same Presidential election combatants as that year. Hopefully, there will not also be a major pandemic in between now and November.

From Paradise, Nevada
 (colors of the Las Vegas Raiders in case there is any confusion)
 
 
San Francisco 49ers (14-5) vs. Kansas City Chiefs (14-6) 
 
Who am I rooting for? In 2020, it was definitely the Chiefs
 
It is pretty amazing to think that the Chiefs, who lost the first Super Bowl, were in two out of the first four. They won back in early 1970 and then went 50 years... 50 years! before making it back to the Super Bowl.They did not even come close to going most of that time. So, growing up, I always sort of felt sorry for the Chiefs as a cursed franchise and rooted for them.

Now, the Chiefs are in their fourth Super Bowl in the last six years. They won four years ago against the Niners, then lost one, and now are the reigning champions. Many people have gotten pretty sick of them winning.

The 49ers have also been to a bunch of Super Bowls and have won five of them. The last time they hoisted the Lombardi Trophy was way back in 1995. My first memories of the NFL are of the Joe Montana Dynasty and them beating the Bears, so I find it hard to root for the 49ers.
 
Next, if I am being completely honest, I am a bit tired of the Taylor Swift/Travis Kelce hype. Goodluck to those kids, but enough is enough. It might be hard to forget that when the NFL season kicked off, the two attention hungry celebrities were not even linked. The first game she went to was when the Chiefs demolished the Bears. As mentioned, T-Swift has done pretty well in her NFL rookie year.
 
I also understand that Jackson Mahomes, the brother of Patrick Mahomes is cringe to the max, and Pat Mahomes Sr. (a former Chicago Cubs pitcher) just got arrested again for yet another DUI.  It does not really seem like a very great family, but you cannot blame Patrick for that. The talk in Chicago for years now has been that the Bears could have and should have drafted him when they had the chance. From what I remember, DeShaun Watson and DeShaun Kizer were both considered better prospects, before the Bears ultimately drafted Mitchell Trubisky.
 
One also has to salute Brock Purdy, the Quarterback of San Francisco. Not long ago, he was the very last player taken in the draft. The infamous "Mr. Irrelevant" of that year's draft, sure has made an impressive name for himself.
 
Then, there is the political angle, and that why I pretty much have to once again root for the Chiefs.
 
I write about national politics on Saturdays so I want to keep this brief. In the build up to the Super Bowl, and especially last week, there was so much ridiculous talk about Taylor Swift and conspiracy theories peculating throughout MAGA. 
 
It is no secret that she is a Democrat or that Kelce does ads for being vaccinated against Covid. Some have claimed that the NFL is so rigged, that the Chiefs will definitely win. (The refs have been said to have been kind to them in recent years, including last year's Super Bowl) and then right after the game, Swift and Kelce will unite at midfield to endorse Joe Biden for reelection before a massive television audience. (What if Usher does it at the Halftime Show?) There has even been talk that Swift is a "Psy-Ops" project of the Pentagon or whatever "globalist forces" the Trump cultists see in their nightmares.

So, sorry Speaker Emerita Pelosi and the rest of the extreme liberals in the Bay Area, for MAGA to lose, the Chiefs have to win on Sunday. That's all there is to it.

Looking back in 2008, I supported the New York Giants ending the perfect season aspirations of the New England Patriots in the Super Bowl, and they won. Then, Barack Obama got elected President later in the year. Four years later, it was the Patriots and Giants once again, and I deliberately switched to the Patriots just for the necessity of wanting to see Obama lose reelection. The Giants won again and so did Obama. How America and the world would be a better place today if Mitt Romney, the former Governor of the Patriots' home state would have been elected.

In 2020, the Chiefs beats the 49ers. I knew I wanted Trump to lose in November. Thankfully he did, although I surprisingly found myself casting a vote for Joe Biden, just to be as anti-Trump as possible.

Four years later, I cannot bring myself to vote for Biden. Still, assuming that is the election re-run, I will have no choice but to want him to win. So, for that reason, the Chiefs have to win again. If the final score winds up being 31-20 again, I will predict the Electoral College Result totals will also wind up being exactly the same.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home