Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Presidential Power Rankings # 2

January 10, 2007

For this second week of the Power Rankings, I have decided to expand the field to 15 candidates each in both parties.

I just feel that a 15 candidate poll is a nicer and luckier number than 13.

The four names I am adding include one potential candidate who this week signaled a willingness to enter the race while the other three are more likely to not to not run, but have been talked about online and elsewhere as potential candidates that people in various segments of the parties would might want to draft, and thus, those candidates could give it some thought.

Basically, I just wanted to get to 15 each, so I am going with who seems like the most logical additions.

Otherwise, there are not many changes from last week to this week, which is to be expected. The one alternation is that I have flip flopped John Kerry and Chris Dodd in the Democrat rankings due to the fact that the political juggernaut that is John F. Kerry sent a signal yesterday that he is preparing to run and could actuall enter the race fairly soon, as opposed to thinking about it for the next few months.

Every week, I will put the candidate’s previous ranking in parentheses.


Democrats:

1. Hillary Rodham Clinton (1)
2. Barack Obama (2)
3. John Edwards (3)
4. Al Gore (4)
5. Bill Richardson (5)
6. Tom Vilsack (6)
7. Joe Biden (7)
8. John Kerry (9)
9. Chris Dodd (8)
10. Dennis Kucinich (10)
11. Wes Clark (11)
12. Al Sharpton (new)
13. Mark Warner (12)
14. Phil Bredesen (new)
15. Mike Gravel (13)

Republicans:

1. John McCain (1)
2. Mitt Romney (2)
3. Rudy Giuliani (3)
4. Mike Huckabee (4)
5. Sam Brownback (5)
6. Newt Gingrich (6)
7. Tommy Thompson (7)
8. Frank Keating (8)
9. George Pataki (9)
10. Jim Gilmore (10)
11. Chuck Hagel (11)
12. Duncan Hunter (12)
13. Mike Pence (new)
14. Tom Tancredo (new)
15. John Cox (13)

2 Comments:

At 1:37 PM, Blogger sku said...

Speaking as a Dem, I think the Republican I would least like to see nominated is Huckabee.

McCain, Romney and Giuliani all have strong weaknesses. McCain is unlikely to go an entire campaign without saying something really stupid, really embarrasing or both. Giuliani is also a hot head who will alienate the conservative base, and Romney has a major flip-flopping problem, along with a dearth of experience.

Huckabee is conservative but lacks the harsh, vitriolic, mean spiritedness that is so common among the right (Santorum, Cornyn, etc). He is charismatic and comes off as a nice guy. He is the most Reaganesque of the candidates, and not someone I would want to be up against.


Just two cents from the opposition.

 
At 4:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw Huckabee's Road to the White House interview and I like many things about him, but I sense he is more liberal than many would think on some things, which may be why you and folks like Daily Kos say they "most fear him", etc. I think he goes out of his way to use buzzwords that appeal to the left.

I think he is wasting his time with that though if he wants to be the GOP nominee.

He seems like a decent guy, but after watching that interview, I realize that I would not be comfortable supporting him in the primary.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home