Tuesday, January 22, 2019

NFL Conference Championship Game Results

So, both games went to Overtime and were pretty entertaining, but I was not able to follow the action as closely as I would have otherwise, because I was at a family birthday celebration. I saw much of what happened but could not really hear any of the commentary. The results of these two games leave me feeling a bit blah about the Super Bowl. This is not the matchup I would have wanted to see, but it is what it is.

In regards to the NFC Championship, I cannot help but feel the Chicago Bears could have potentially defeated either team and been on their way to the big game. If only we could have made that Field Goal!

Officiating is certainly in the spotlight. I did not see the egregious non-call for pass interference that was committed against a New Orleans Saint (and former Northern Illinois Huskie.) Apparently, that easy call would have all but assured a New Orleans win. Instead, I was amazed that the Rams tied it up with a long field goal to send it to Overtime. The Saints won the coin toss but the legendary Drew Brees threw an interception. Then, the Rams kicker made a 57 yard field goal to send his team to Atlanta in two weeks. Very hard to believe and I realize now how robbed Saints fans have to feel.

For whatever reason, I have always sort of liked the Kansas City Chiefs as an AFC team during my life as an NFL fan. They have been waiting for 1970 to make a Super Bowl and seemingly were finally closer than ever this year, hosting the championship game for the first time. The franchise has suffered so many heartbreaking home playoff losses before and I was just sort of fearing that would happen again. In a way, they remind me of the pre-2016 Chicago Cubs, so I know how their fans feel. They had a couple chances to have completed a comeback and wrapped this game up, but their defense is suspect and some 4th quarter calls seemed to go the Patriots' way. There was a roughing the passer call that I and many others felt should not have been called. When all is said and done, Tom Brady proved that love him or hate him, he really is the GOAT, and drove his team for a game winning Touchdown. I had to listen to most of the drive on the radio before catching the final play. Kansas City never even got a chance to possess the ball.

The Chiefs have a bright future and will get other opportunities. If they make it to the Super Bowl in short order, I may be rooting against them though in favor of the Bears.

The two luckier teams advanced, but I cannot help but feel if there were robot officials, we would be talking about New Orleans vs. Kansas City.

Instead, it's another showdown between Boston and Los Angeles, as if those fan bases are hungering to win another championship in a major sport.

NOT PREDICTIONS- although they basically were

1. Rams (14-3) at Saints (14-3) L 1
2. Patriots (12-5) at Chiefs (13-4) L 2

Championship Game Results: 0-2 (0%)
Overall Results: 133-131 (50%)

Chiefs finish 13-5

Saints finish 14-4

2 Comments:

At 12:19 PM, Blogger Steve Boudreaux said...

Chicago is OVERRATED.

Speaking of the Windy City, they're on the verge of electing the 2nd African American, 1st female & 1st African American female Mayor.

 
At 5:46 PM, Blogger Corey said...

Chicago is the greatest City in the world, despite the political scene.

Nonetheless, I will enjoy seeing Lori Lightfoot defeat Toni Preckwinkle.

As for the history, Chicago did elect Jane Byrne, a female Mayor in 1979. Four years later, she was defeated by Harold Washington the first African-American Mayor. After Washington died, Eugene Sawyer, an African-American was picked by the City Council to be Mayor, but less than two years later he was defeated in a special election.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home